Has money been a source of anxiety or caused relational conflict in your life? In what way?
Students now have more than $37,000 of debt coming out of college, requiring 10 years, or more, of repayment. And 36% of 30,000 college students surveyed already had more than $1,000 in credit card debt.
Roughly 60% of Americans would not be able to pay for a $1,000 emergency with savings.
The Traditional Solution
Gain wealth through personal financial planning.
This solution may create margin and eliminate debt burden, but it often does not fix anxiety and conflict issues.
It’s hard to get out of bed in the morning with the right attitude when you are overwhelmed with your life, emotions, finances, your relationship.
Net worth: $285 million
I’m scared about not having enough.
A bus driver about to retire with a net worth of over $1 million. She gained wealth through wise personal financial planning, and, yet, was still scared.
Why would I want to help them win a title? They’re not doing anything for me. I’m at risk. I got my family to feed.
Latrell Sprewell turned down a $21.4 million contract with the Timberwolves because it wasn’t “enough” to feed his family.
Please fill out the following 3 questions. Everything is completely anonymous. These questions will be used to help assess the effectiveness of this course. Thank you!
Whole Heart Video
Activity: Money Quiet Time
Dane Ortlund, in his book, Gentle and Lowly, describes the two main steps of being a Christian:
Step 1: Go towards Jesus
Step 2: See step 1
For this exercise, we want to go towards Jesus with our money life. In doing so, we want to break any separation we may have formed between our money life and our Jesus life.
Money Quiet Time
- Download, or find, a recent bank or credit card statement. Make sure the statement includes detail about your recent transactions.
- Think about how each of the financial transactions on your statement is a window into your heart. How we spend our money reveals our hearts in that it shows what is important to us and, often, what we care about deeply.
- This statement is like a journal, revealing an important part of your heart. Jesus would be thrilled if you would share this important part of yourself with Him.
- As you share your money life with Jesus, pray Psalm 139: 23-24.
“Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!”
- As you prayed this prayer over your money life, did the Lord reveal anything to you?
- See if you can make this money quiet time a once-a-week habit.